Charles University, Faculty of Education, Magdalény Rettigové 4, 116 39 Praha 1;
Department for Research and Scientific Activities
Contact person: Mgr. Lothar Filip Rudorfer, e-mail:
PhD. Studies - Admission procedure for the academic year 2022/23
note.: These deadlines are relevant only for the following PhD majors for the upcoming academic year 2022/23
30 April 2022
10 June 2022
OPEN DOOR DAY (ZOOM)
other majors will be re-opened during the next academic year. The new round of entrance admissions will start during spring 2022
New web for incoming students https://www.studycharles.cz/
How to set up an application: https://www.studycharles.cz/how-to-apply
Information about studies at Carles University: Webinar - Study at CU
Live webinar: Facebook webinar
Special web for Ukrainan applicants: UA CUNI
Fees associated with the admission procedure:
Paper application fee (CZK): Doctoral study: 770,-
Online application fee (CZK): Doctoral study: 720,-
The fee must be paid for each submitted application form. Payment is made by
bank transfer or deposit in the bank. The proof is the bank transfer confirmation
(not the payment order) or a copy of a bank account statement. The fee is nonrefundable
at any stage of the entrance examination process and is not refunded
even if the applicant does not attend the entrance examination or does not apply
Komerční banka Bank account: 85236011/0100, Variable code: Students number, Transfer post code for payment via postal order: IBAN: CZ43 0100 0000 0000 8523 6011, SWIFT: KOMB CZ PP
The electronic form of application is available at https://is.cuni.cz/eng/studium/prijimacky/index.php To submit an application properly we recommend reading help. Please note that
after completing an electronic application it is necessary to finalize it by clicking on „ODESLAT“ button, otherwise it is not valid.
Only an electronically submitted application is considered valid, no printed versions sent via postal service an be accepted. The application must be submitted and fee paid by 30 April 2021.
Application status can be checked at: https://is.cuni.cz/studium/,module „Admission“(application storage, entrance examination dates, admission results, etc.). After filling in the application in electronic form, each candidate will receive their unique code necessary for paying the fee.The fee must be paid for each submitted application form and is due on the
last day of application submission. If the application form is not properly filled or does not contain required information, the Faculty of Education will ask the candidate to rectify it within a given period. If the application is not rectified in time, admission procedure is terminated.
Characteristics of studies
Doctoral study is organized in 4 years. It is intended candidates who have properly completed Master's degree program. In the event that the applicant finishes a Master's degree after the deadline for submission of the application, he/she has to submit the proof of completion of a Master degree to October 21 in the same year.
The study is realized in 2 forms – full-time and combined. Full-time study assumes learner involvement of student in the activities of the department which realizes the study programme. The activity consists of research or teaching activities according to the nature of the department. The combined study assumes contact with the student's workplace on a purely educational basis. Doctoral program envisages independent research and creative activity. The artistic-pedagogical branches are aimed at independent theoretical and creative activity.
The study is realized in English. The condition is therefore such knowledge of the English language, what enables the candidate to carry out the above mentioned activities, including taking exams and writing a dissertation thesis.
The candidate demonstrates the capability of doctoral studies at the entrance examination. The exam takes the form of a debate about the project research. The candidate proves own thoughts and thorough knowledge of the research field. Any additional claims in particular branches are mentioned in information about the branches.
The expected length of text is 10 pages. The project should include in particular: motivation of the applicant to the topic processing, the state of the research in selected field, the results of candidate´s own activities in chosen field, aims, hypotheses, methods, anticipated results, bibliography, design of individual stages of dissertation with respect to the length of study.
Due to the nature and content of study, the applicant can consult the theme, the structure of project and possibilities for its processing with chairs of doctoral boards. Contacts are listed in the information about branches of study.
fee for diploma recognition: 870 CZK (non-refundable in case the verification process cannot be compelted)
Application form: on-line
Applicants should submit the following documents:
Application form (electronic only via link above)
professional curriculum vitae
officially-verified certification of completed undergraduate degree (Master´s studies) - either superlegalized or stamped with apostille
a list of publications
proposal for a research project (as an attachment to the electronic application only)
additional documentation that may determine the appropriate research panel for doctoral study
the proof of payment of the administrative fee
*if the applicants shall fail to provide the documentation until the application deadline, they will recive a 5-day notice to complete the application with all the documents. If they fail to do so in due time, their application will be terminated without any refund possible.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION of Master´s degree programme. The candidate submits a certified copy of Master´s degree programme to the Department for research and scientific activities the of Faculty of Education with the Application by 22. October 2022 at the latest.(The applicant cannot be admitted without this document.) Candidates who completed Master´s degree programme from abroad need to present confirmation of the equivalence. Information about the assessment of foreign tertiary education documents can be found here
The application documents are sent by post to the
Faculty of Education Charles University
Mgr. Lothar Filip Rudorfer
Department for Research and Scientific Activities
M. Rettigové 4
116 39 Praha 1
Welcome to the Czech Republic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyoNrxu0bd0
Welcome to Charles University https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn__iHh8dLo
Study at Prague https://youtu.be/nifK7hdYzwE
IT systems at Charles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZohnCM6XC4
Doctoral Study https://youtu.be/7ASUyysW2OY
Student well-being https://youtu.be/L12AJBVRUr8
Applicant assistance for bank account / visa aproval: https://www.euraxess.cz/
- Accepted full-time students usually stay onsite and are eligible for a PhD. scholarship received monthly in the amount of 10.500 CZK. However, this amount can be issued only from the time they start studying, that means to have a Czech bank account and sign in person immatriculation documents after arriving in the Czech Republic. Accepted distance(combined) students have to create individual study plans and have to be in-person to do exams and fulfil duties in-person in Prague at our faculty at least 3 months per academic year. Distance students cannot receive PhD. scholarship support.
- Students who get accepted have to create an ISP (Individual study plan) and fulfil duties in compliance with their supervisor, depending on the study field and focus, if any of the duties are not fulfilled scholarship support may be reduced.
- There are currently no study fees, nor fees for any internal courses at the Faculty of Education of Charles University in Prague. However, our faculty does not provide students with any support in terms of health insurance, bank account set up, cell phone programmes etc. Nor does the faculty provide support in terms of payment for accommodation, transportation for the entrance exams etc.
- applicants for the full-time study if approved have to set up a Czech bank account in person in the Czech Republic in order to receive any scholarships
- Due to the recent crisis applicant from Russian Federation will not be granted any student visas to Czech Republic or EU. If you are an applicant from Russian Feredartion, you may apply, but in order to enrol you will have to complete the Czech MOI visa process first. We advise Russian applicants to wait for application after the international conflict resolves.